Wallakers as Managing Agents

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wallakers as Managing Agents

Post  tomba on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Has the management of St James ever been put out to tender/competitive bid? Is it not time to do just this? As far as I am aware, Wallakers have had sole management oversight over the development since it was constructed some 14 years ago. The estate needs innovative thinking, new energy and drive in its management and frankly a fresh injection of enthusiasm (and demonstrable responsiveness and execution). These are traits that I've not seen in Wallakers since I moved in some 8 years ago. Can the Directors put this idea to a formal vote across all residents so that the residents can vote on whether they think it is time to put the management of the estate out to tender rather than continuing with the monopoly that Wallakers has enjoyed to date (and has become rather complacent in the process)?

tomba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wallakers as Managing Agents

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Thank you for your question. This issue has been discussed by the board previously but as far as I am aware it has been a couple of years since it was last discussed. We will raise the question at the next board meeting and discuss what actions might be available and look to determine an agreed board response to your question. If you have specific examples of your criticisms of Wallakers it would probably be helpful for the board discussion.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://stjamespark.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tomba on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Thank you.

I'd be happy to detail specific cases whereby I have not been satisfied with the quality and timeliness of Wallakers service over the years (I have engaged the Ombudsman Service on a recent issue) but it would take a lot of time to capture the context for each of them. Perhaps a more efficient way would be for me to have an opportunity to convey them in person to the Directors at an appropriate time. Some of the items are widely visible (such as why it has taken over a year to remedy the 'path of desire' which is still (at the time of writing) unfinished.

That said, irrespective of issues I may have, I think it is good practice to put the management of the estate out to tender on a periodic basis (much in the same way as has been done with the gardening contract) so I would encourage the Directors to find out specifically when this was last done (if at all) and if it hasn't been done for say 5 years then put the contract out to tender. In the spirit of healthy competition, continuos improvement and frankly good leadership, I see this suggestion as best practise. I would also suggest that you write to all residents putting this suggestion to a vote so that you can get a broader view. The challenge will be ensuring that the actual owners of the properties get to vote rather than just the tenants who may be living in them.

Whilst my own individual dissatisfaction with Wallakers responsiveness (or lack thereof), quality of solutioning and absence of fresh thinking might be the trigger to my question, I would not want the Directors to lose sight of the benefits that my suggestion would have to all residents. There is a lot to gain from opening up the management of the estate to competitive bids.

Many thanks again

tomba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Could the Directors/Admin kindly respond to the outstanding question.

Post  tomba on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:31 am

[quote="tomba"]Thank you.

I'd be happy to detail specific cases whereby I have not been satisfied with the quality and timeliness of Wallakers service over the years (I have engaged the Ombudsman Service on a recent issue) but it would take a lot of time to capture the context for each of them. Perhaps a more efficient way would be for me to have an opportunity to convey them in person to the Directors at an appropriate time. Some of the items are widely visible (such as why it has taken over a year to remedy the 'path of desire' which is still (at the time of writing) unfinished.

That said, irrespective of issues I may have, I think it is good practice to put the management of the estate out to tender on a periodic basis (much in the same way as has been done with the gardening contract) so I would encourage the Directors to find out specifically when this was last done (if at all) and if it hasn't been done for say 5 years then put the contract out to tender. In the spirit of healthy competition, continuos improvement and frankly good leadership, I see this suggestion as best practise. I would also suggest that you write to all residents putting this suggestion to a vote so that you can get a broader view. The challenge will be ensuring that the actual owners of the properties get to vote rather than just the tenants who may be living in them.

Whilst my own individual dissatisfaction with Wallakers responsiveness (or lack thereof), quality of solutioning and absence of fresh thinking might be the trigger to my question, I would not want the Directors to lose sight of the benefits that my suggestion would have to all residents. There is a lot to gain from opening up the management of the estate to competitive bids.

Many thanks again[/quote]

tomba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Still awaiting the response from the Directors on this thread, please reply as promised.

Post  tomba on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:32 am

Still awaiting the response from the Directors on this thread, please reply as promised.

tomba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Managing Agent Review

Post  Admin on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:29 pm

The board has recently carried out a review of the current contract with the managing agents – Wallakers.  As part of that review process the statement of requirements for a managing agent were updated.  These requirements were then provided to four managing agent organisations in the local area with a request for quotes to fulfil the provided requirements.

Responses were received from all four of the agents contacted, these responses were reviewed by the board at the board meeting on May 21st, 2015.

The conclusion of the board was that while the performance of Wallakers could be improved in some areas it still represents the best value for money at the current time.

Actions arising from this review are:

·         Wallakers will be asked to take a more pro-active role in managing the estate.
·         A new, more prescriptive, contract will be drawn up with Wallakers.
·         An annual review of Wallakers performance will be conducted.
·         A formal tender process will be instigated – this will take place every five years.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://stjamespark.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top